Working with Goldberg Companies, Inc, Gamble Design Collaborative planned a new 22.7-acare development along the Carothers Parkway Corridor just north of Liberty Pike. The property contains the John Henry Carothers House, which was built in 1937, four smaller sheds, and 2 barns that are listed on the National Historic Register. The original 1,200sf John Henry Carothers house was a kit house cladded with stone quarried from the property and includes a small addition on the rear.
GDC worked closely with the Historic Preservation and the City of Franklin’s Parks Department to restore the home and preserve 8.9 acres as part of the master development plan. The converted home can now be rented by businesses or residents in the Cool Springs and Franklin area for parties, meetings, and other community gatherings. The home will be the centerpiece of a new arboretum and will serve as a trail head for new hiking paths and mountain bike trails. The preservation of the home is a key element of the master plan and provides an opportunity to tell the story of Mr. Carothers and his family’s home.
The development plan for the property includes a mix of uses with a 170-room hotel and a 140,000 square foot office along Carothers Parkway, and 426 multi-family residential apartments along the southern property boundary.